30 May 2013

435. Briefly: Frippery extensions for Gnome 3.8

I'm running Debian Wheezy on most of my machines, Debian Jessie on my laptop, and Arch on my home multimedia centre. Arch has Gnome 3.8 which up until recently didn't have the extensions that I had relied on to make Gnome 3.8 use-able.

Well, the Frippery extensions for Gnome 3.8 are out now: http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

Sure, you can install them the boring way by going to extensions.gnome.org, but it's more fun to do
cd ~
wget http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/gnome-shell-frippery-0.6.0.tgz
tar xvf gnome-shell-frippery-0.6.0.tgz

The files will be extracted into their proper locations.
At this point I (foolishly) did alt+F2, type r, and hit enter (to reload gnome shell) -- which promptly crashed GNOME 3. At this point I simply rebooted from a tty since restarting gdm didn't help. 

Use gnome-tweak-tool/Shell Extensions to enable and disable extensions.

Using the Frippery extensions (favourites, bottom panel etc.). Note that this desktop also uses conky to display the  sysinfo on the right hand of the desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment